It’s been a few days since we’ve had soup, and, well, we just haven’t been ourselves. Here’s one that I’ve been wanting to try: Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup, from the terrific food blog, Smitten Kitchen. Oh yeah, that was good. Chorizo is awesome.
Makes 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 10- to 11-ounce fully cooked smoked Portuguese linguica sausage or chorizo sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (Spanish chorizo can be substituted)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams; about 2 large), peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound white-skinned potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 9-ounce bag fresh spinach
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Transfer sausage to paper towels to drain. (I poured off some of the oil in the pot at this point, but the original recipe doesn’t think this is needed.) Add onions and garlic to pot and cook until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add all potatoes and cook until beginning to soften, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Using potato masher, mash some of potatoes in pot. Add browned sausage to soup. Stir in spinach and simmer just until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and serve.
And as a side dish, direct from the farmers market: Roasted Zucchini with Lemon.
Roasted Zucchini with Lemon (Epicurious)
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds small zucchini (about 6), cut diagonally into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
Put 2 large shallow baking pans (preferably heavy; 1 inch deep) in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 500°F.
Cut 5 (1/8-inch-thick) crosswise slices from middle of lemon and squeeze 1 teaspoon juice from remaining pieces. Whisk together oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add zucchini and toss until coated.
Divide zucchini between preheated baking pans, spreading evenly in 1 layer, and roast in upper and lower thirds of oven until undersides are browned, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine lemon slices and sugar in bowl and toss to coat. Gently turn zucchini slices over and arrange lemon slices in 1 layer alongside zucchini. Switch position of pans and roast until zucchini and lemon slices are tender and browned, about 7 minutes. Serve, overlapping slices slightly, on a platter (not in a bowl) to prevent weeping.