Raw eggs! Anchovies! Bittman!
Caesar Salad (from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman)
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup pasteurized egg product
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced anchovies, or to taste
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1/2 to 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Rub the inside of your salad bowl with the garlic clove; discard it.
2. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Pierce a tiny hole in the broad end of each of the eggs with a pin or a needle and boil them for 60 to 90 seconds; they will just begin to firm up. Crack them into the salad bowl, being sure to scoop out the white that clings to the shell.
3. Beat the eggs with a fork, gradually adding the lemon juice and then the olive oil, beating all the while.
4. Stir in the anchovies and the Worcestershire. Taste and add salt if needed and plenty of pepper. Toss well with the lettuce; top with the croutons and Parmesan, then toss again at the table. Serve immediately.