I need to work on my artichoke trimming skills. This is a good recipe to get some practice with that. Pretty tasty.
Fried Minted Artichoke Recipe (by White on Rice Couple)
Be very liberal in stripping the leaves off of the artichokes when prepping. The outer leaves will fry up tougher. If you need to, you can always strip more leaves off after frying. Make sure oil is hot before starting to fry, and pull garlic just before it reaches golden brown, as it will become bitter if overcooked. Serves 2 or 3.
- 12 Baby Artichokes
- 10 cloves Garlic
- @ 40 large Mint Leaves, finely sliced
- 1/2 Lemon, cut into wedges
- Sea Salt
- oil for frying
- Prep the Artichokes. Strip away the outer leaves until they are a very light green (usually about 1/3 -1/2 of the outer leaves). Trim the end of the stem and the top of the artichokes. Slice in half.
- Fry. Pour enough oil in a large saute pan to fill 1/4″ deep. Heat over med-high heat. When oil is hot, place artichokes cut side down in a single layer (fry in batches if necessary) scatter garlic cloves between the artichokes and add half of the mint.
- Fry until garlic and artichokes until lightly golden (about 2-3 minutes) then flip and fry until just done (about another 2 minutes). Make sure to pull garlic out just before being it is fully golden as it will continue to cook a bit more after being removed from oil and will become bitter if overcooked.
- Drain on paper towels, squeeze a little lemon juice over artichokes, season with sea salt and toss with remaining mint leaves. Plate with additional lemon wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.